Friday, April 8, 2011

Father

Father

 

S And the Lord came and called as before, “Samuel! Samuel!”

And Samuel replied, “Speak, your servant is listening.”

- 1 Samuel 3:10

 

O God had called to Samuel several times before that night but Samuel did not realise that it was him. He thought that it was his master, Eli. Eli finally realised that God had been calling Samuel and told him to answer God. When Samuel did answer God he did it humbly, calling himself God's servant. He was ready to listen to God.

 

A I had an experience of god speaking to me yesterday. I had been looking for my Uni textbook and couldn't find it so I asked god to show me where it was. But God didn't show me right then. Instead he said one word to me. That word was daughter. At first I thought I had misheard God. I know, silly me. But he said it again. As I listened to him say that one word, daughter I realised that he wanted something back from me. When I had prayed I had called him Lord and he is Lord. But God wanted me to call him Father at that moment. I called him Father and he called me daughter. It was a powerful moment where I let myself think of God as a loving and nurturing Father who I can trust with my whole heart. This is something that I struggle with often because of the relationship I had with my earthly father growing up. But God is so good. He is leading me into that true and good Father, daughter relationship that I have always longed for.

 

P Father, I come to you as your daughter in an attitude of love and trust. Thank you for letting me see you in this way. Forgive me father for placing human weaknesses upon you. That is not you. You are trustworthy, compassionate, loyal, nurturing and loving. Help me not to forget this. In Jesus' name. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment